Did you ever think you'd be able to walk up an active volcano? Nope?! Well, here's your once in a lifetime chance...Timed so that we are able to maximise opportunity to see the full colour of petrified lava rivers, and sunset, this private tour is open to remotes, scheduled for descent during sunset on the Pacaya volcano. We will be departing around 2pm from our designated meet point. Once at the volcano base, it's a 60-90 min hike all the way up! And no, there's no ski-lift or helicopter for this one but there is a horse power option! Should this option appeal to you, local horses can be hired when there for Q.100-150 per person each way. That said, it's not a difficult hike either. Except for a few small stretches, this climb can be taken at leisure, so you've time to admire the views and we'll make the most of two designated look out points also. Keep in mind you will have an option to enjoy a Volcanic cooked pizza, when you reach the top, having a pizza cooked in a small vent chamber of a volcano is something for the bucket list!
This is a rare chance to be up really close (but safely) to petrified rivers of lava that now are solid rock formations like walking around Mars, and experience the heat and energy of one of mother nature's most powerful monuments. And let's not forget you'll see the contrast in colours of the scenery when the sun goes down and we start our descent, which takes the same time as the climb. When we descend we go down through a gravel loose rock slope, this could be really fun but, we suggest good hiking boots for this journey. If you are not an experienced hiker this is your volcano climb in Guatemala, as other volcanoes have more of a risk to them.
- Local Guide - Local guide, Certified general guide also
- Walking Tour - Hiking up a volcano, so moderate hike
- Entrance Fee / Tickets - All tickets and entrance fees.
- Transportation - Round Trip - From designated meeting point given in slack channel
- Food - Lunch - We provide a sandwich, trail mix, bottle of water, juice and fruit.
- Volcanic pizza - Where else could you have a pizza cooked in one of the volcanic heat vents of Pacaya?
What's Not Included
- Extra Food - Not typically needed
- Drinks - Alcoholic beverages, and extra water
- Tips for vendors
- Horseback, sometimes there are horses that take people to the lookout points. This extra cost is not included. It's mentioned in the blurb above.
Things You Should Know
- Weather dependent - Could be rescheduled due to volcanic activity
- Difficulty Level - Medium - not tough but moderate difficulty
- Special clothing required - Will get dirty
- Special clothing required - Athletic - bring hiking gear if you have
- Bring water
- This is not a rigorous hike but sometimes you can rent a hiking stick
- Sometimes we can't get all the way to the top as it becomes a little dangerous
- We will be hiking Pacaya Volcano
- This is a Private RY experience
- There will be an opportunity to eat the only volcanic pizza in Central America -- Pizza Pacaya! David makes one of the most amazing volcanic pizzas, we call it volcanic pizza because its cooked in a warm volcanic chamber that acts like an oven. Did you ever think you could eat a pizza made by volcanic heat and lots of Guatemalan love. Now is the opportunity, if David is around you cant miss him at the summit, cooking his amazing pizzas.
We have a team of general guides for the whole country and local community guides from San Vicente Pacaya the nearby town to escort the group on this hike.
Minimum To Operate
Deadline To Book
48 hours prior to the start of the experience