This authentic South African Trout Farm and Safari experience commences with an afternoon on a breath-taking Trout Farm where you will take in the beauty of tranquil waters and peaceful natural surrounds. Sundowners of traditional gin and tonic will be served alongside the waters before sitting down to a home-style South African dinner served with South African wines. Accommodation at the farm will be shared in well-appointed en suite rooms. Start your first morning on the farm with a brisk walk or simply relax and enjoy the quiet beauty of your crisp, fresh environment. After a hearty breakfast board, the minibus for the 3.5-hour (with a bathroom stop) journey, arriving at the Safari Camp in time for camp lunch. The Safari Camp is a wholly black owned community and managed camp with shared accommodation in comfortable, en suite Safari Style Tents.
At 15h00 take your positions on the open Safari vehicle with your highly experienced and local resident guides and head “into Africa” for your first Safari experience. The afternoon will be spent seeking out the iconic African creatures that call the Manyeleti their home. Sundowner drinks and snacks will be enjoyed while soaking up the vastness and peace that is the African bush before making your way back to camp for fireside drinks and an African style dinner.
From here on in, the “order of the day” will be an authentic Old World African Safari Experience!
Up with the birds before sunrise, eager for the adventure of searching for the myriad of creatures that inhabit the Greater Kruger National Park. This experience is a once in a lifetime opportunity with the very real possibility of encountering “The Big 5 “in their natural environment. Your hosts will afford you genuine South African warmth, delicious meals and ensure that you have the best wildlife experience possible.
ItineraryDay 1: Johannesburg to the Farmhouse
Travel from Cape Town to Johannesburg (OR Tambo International Airport) and be met at Yolo Café and driven to an interesting lunch stop! The latter afternoon is spent enjoying nature and all that the Farm affords. Relax with sundowner drinks followed by a fireside dinner and wine in a spacious, well-appointed home. Freshen up for a sit-down dinner served with South African wines in the comfort of the Farmhouse you will call home for the night.
Day 2: Greater Kruger National Park Drive
06h30/ 7h00 am start with relaxation out on the farm followed by coffee and a hearty Farm breakfast. Then board the minibus which will travel 3.5 hours (with a comfort stop) to the Safari camp in the Greater Kruger National Park. Arrive at the Safari Community camp in time for camp lunch. Quickly familiarize yourself with your shared, (2 guests sharing per tent) en suite tented accommodation before boarding the open Safari vehicle for your first Safari experience out on the open plains of Africa. Enjoy drinks and snacks in a choice sundowner spot in the bush before heading back to camp for dinner. Arrive back at camp in the early evening for fireside drinks and a typically South African 3 course dinner while listening out for the roar of lions or the call of hyena.
Day 3: Walking and driving Safari's in the bush
04h30 am start with a 20 min drive to Orpen Gate in the Kruger National park for a 2 to 3 hour professionally guided Bush Walk. After this exhilarating walking Safari grab an espresso or enjoy a quick browse around the souvenir shop. Return to the camp with tales of incredible sightings for a hearty brunch of fresh fruit, homemade muesli and yogurts followed by a hot plated breakfast. The warm mid hours of the day are spent doing the camp walking trail, having a back massage at The Bush Spa, relaxing at the swimming pool or simply resting in your tent. Internet connectivity is limited so it’s best not to plan important work over these few days. Mid-afternoon will be teatime (beverage and a light snack) before boarding the open Safari vehicles again for late afternoon into the evening game encounters. This time of day promises excellent viewing with possible experiences with all the species that Africa is famous for. After sundowner drinks in the bush, return to camp to freshen up and once again enjoy the fireside dining that Africa is known for.
5AM rise to get out on the last open Safari trip of the experience. Enjoy the soft light and freshness that is early morning in Africa. Keep your eyes peeled for beautiful birds while continuing the quest for the Big 5 viewing that only Manyeleti has been known to deliver. Return to the camp for another generous breakfast after which you, sadly, gear up to leave for the airport of departure back to Cape Town with incredible memories of an authentic African Safari experience etched in your mind. Fly back to Cape Town from Hoedspruit Airport (called Eastgate Airport)
- Ground Transportation - Round Trip - Meet & greet at OR Tambo Airport (JNB) (Yolo Café)
- Transfer with transfer company in minivans to an interesting lunch stop! and then onto and Mpumalanga Trout Farm.
- Transfer from the Trout Farm with your hosts, Mike and Jacky, to the Safari Camp.
- Transfer by your hosts via minivan from the Safari Camp to Hoedspruit Airport (Eastgate Airport)
- Food - all meals while at safari Camp and the Trout Farm (brunch, teas & dinner), snacks and waters during road trips.
- Entrance/conservation fees into the Kruger and Manyeleti Parks.
- Shared en suite accommodation for 1 night at the Trout Farm (2 per room)
- Sundowner drinks and wine at the Trout Farm .
- Shared en suite tented accommodation for 2 nights in Authentic Safari Tents with en suite camp shower bathrooms.
- Three Open Vehicle Safari activities within the Greater Kruger region known as the Manyeleti with the very real likelihood of viewing Elephants, Cape Buffalo, Lion, Leopard, Impala, Zebra, Giraffe and rarer possibilities of Cheetah and Wild Dog. The services of highly experienced personal safari guides.
- One walking safari in The Kruger National Park with highly experienced Safari guides.
What's Not Included
- Food – Lunch and drinks on day 1 at the lunch stop.
- Drinks - All drinks at the safari camp - drinks to be paid with cash before departure
- Tips for Safari Guide and Safari camp service staff - R 1000.00 per guest- cash required
- Air Transportation- Flights into OR Tambo and out of Hoedspruit Airport (Eastgate Airport)
Flight Booking Information
Flights are not included in this package. It is essential to book flights early as the number of flights and seats are limited and get much more expensive the later, they are booked. Please investigate flight options BEFORE booking this package. We will not refund if you are not able to find a flight booking. Please only book your flights once we have given the go ahead that the trip is confirmed to run.
Arrival: Book a one-way flight to arrive to OR Tambo (JNB) no later than 10AM. Please do not book flights to Lanseria Airport in Johannesburg.
Departure: Book a one way flight departing from Hoedspruit (Eastgate Airport) to Cape Town at 1:50pm, there is only one airline flying this route: SA Airlink.
Things You Should Know
- Manyeleti is on the periphery of malaria areas. The hosts do not take malaria prophylaxis, but you may do so for your own peace of mind. It is not required.
- Accommodation is shared on this trip. The accommodation is large authentically safari type 2 guest tents with “camp style” en suite bathrooms adjoining each tent.
- The safari camp is a “Green” camp and is powered with solar - Internet connectivity and electrical power points are limited. There are no power points in the tent rooms.
- Things you'll need to bring: Comfortable walking shoes, Comfortable easy fitting clothing – Days are hot, and evenings cool down. Ensure you have muted clothes for walking safari (no white/bright colours). Warm jacket and beanie for evening and dawn game drives, Sunscreen, swimming costume and towel & sun hat, sunglasses, Water flask/bottle, Camera - game and African landscape photographs, Cash for drinks and staff tips
Minimum to Operate
Mike and Jacky have been hosting Remote Year Safari trips for several years and love sharing their home, African bush knowledge and are focused on the authenticity of the African Safari experience they host.
Deadline To Book
21 days prior to the start of the experience
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are wondering whether or not to sign up for this trip, DO IT!! What a fantastic experience from start to finish. Jacky and Mike are exceptional hosts and in a few minutes felt like family. It's nice to be able to see their property and enjoy their home the first night, then camp the next 2 nights. The food and service at the camp was great, the accommodations are rustic but you have a sink/shower/toilet in each tent. The safari was amazing and all together this is an experience you will never forget.
Mike & Jacky were amazing hosts, had everything well planned and were so kind to welcome us into their home.
My trip to South Africa wouldn't be complete without this trip!
Hands down the best experience through RY. Jacky and Mike welcomed us into their lovely home and made us feel like family before we headed to camp. The facilities were great, and the staff couldn’t have been kinder. Our guide Mpao was the best, taking us for sunrise and sunset rides with such knowledge of the game reserve and a great sense of humor. I’m already planning to bring family and friends back for a visit here.
The worlds most beautiful sunsets, fantastic food, beautiful hosts, laughing until you cry around campfires and getting within arms length of majestic, wild animals . A truly magical experience.