- 2 Day / 1 Night Weekend Adventure
- Hike and cycle the most active and highest volcano in Europe
- Taste the wine and locals' typical products of the territory
Mount Etna, a UNESCO’s World Heritage site since 2013, is a force of nature. With 3.354 meters (10,900 feet), it is the tallest active volcano in Europe. This living mountain has amazing energy and, with its caves, craters, fumaroles, and forests, it is a site of surprising nature. You will hike the volcano to discover the products of the last eruptions, you will admire the lunar landscapes created by having the chance to stroll on ancient craters, walk among ancient lava streams characterized by different shades of colors, feel the smell of Etna’s vegetation and explore volcanic caves where the lava used to flow. You can have a great experience discovering the south face of Etna by electric mountain bike, and have a memorable experience by visiting a vineyard, and a cellar and tasting wines of one of the most known wine producers in Mount Etna.
Who This Experience Is Good For
You are an adventurous soul, ready to trek on this magical volcano, get off the beaten track, and adventure. You crave to spend time in nature and be surrounded by an aligned group of peers.
You will be meeting the alpine guide at the bus station at 9.30 am in Catania bus station, to travel with a minivan to Rifugio Sapienza 1900 mt. Once getting there you will be renting the E-mountain bikes to start a tour on a dirt road with a beaten surface up to 2750 meters in about an hour and a half. You will be leaving the bikes, to start a trek of about 2 hours uphill and 1 hour downhill where you will have the opportunity to see the 2002 lava flow, enter the lava flow cave formed by the lava flow (Lava Tube) and go to see the cave from which the lava flowed, then you will get to the top of the 2002 crater from which you will have a spectacular view of the summit craters. You will reach the base of the South-East crater, where the events that affected the South-East crater during 2022 took place, the collapse of the south flank and the still-hot lava flow of February, we will reach an altitude of 2982 m. You will have 30 minutes break to eat (you will be able to grab a packed lunch in the morning at Rifugio Sapienza), after that you will start to descend to reach the bikes and then back to the car to return to Catania. Overnight stay in Catania, where you will be booking accommodation of your choice.
Meet Your Local Host
Mirto Monaco, born in 1988, 100% Catanese, born and raised at the foot of Mount Etna, a great fan of the mountains at home, at the age of 18 he began to explore the Alps following his greatest passion, climbing, deciding to move to the heart of the Trentine Dolomites to qualify as an Alpine Guide UIAGM-IFMGA.
- Alpine Local guide, days 1 and 2
- Transfer from Catania to Etna South and North on both days
- 4x4 truck
- Rental electric bike
- Wine tasting
What's Not Included
- Round trip Palermo/Catania
- 1-night stay in Catania
- Lunch and dinner days 1 and 2
- Trekking shoes, wind-breaking jacket
Know Before You Go
- Minimum Needed: 6 people
- Maximum Capacity: 12 people
- Booking Deadline: 15 days before the event
- Weather Dependent: Yes - The Etna is a wildly beautiful destination, but due to its location, we are subject to unpredictable weather conditions. Always be prepared with a rain jacket. It is common that groups will have different experiences depending on weather conditions and the necessity to change plans last minute.
- Difficulty Level: Medium
- Special Clothing Required: Yes, Suitable clothing is required for going to 3000m in November, (fleece, windbreaker, gloves, hat and scarf, rucksack) Hiking shoes can be rented on request for 8 euros per pair.
- Special Dietary Restrictions: Dietary needs to be catered for the included wine tasting.
- Accommodations: you should book in Catania city center to facilitate the pickup early morning on day 2 by our alpine guide.
- Transportation : round trip from Palermo to Catania is not included, so you can decide to get to the meeting point at your own pace. The meeting point is in Catania bus station, and you can book the bus ticket with the following company:https://www.saisautolinee.it/. The bus suggested getting there to start the experience on Saturday morning is the one leaving Palermo at 7 am.
Frequently Asked Questions
Mt Etna is a magical place and this tour was amazing. If you are looking for adventure, I highly recommend.