Cape town, South Africa
- Visit seaside town of Scarborough
- Sustainable food sourcing
- Chapmans Peak Drive
- Lunch in self-built clay house
- Hout Bay Market
Experience the beautiful Chapmans Peak Drive to reach the picturesque seaside town of Scarborough. You will spend the morning foraging on the beach and learning about seaweed with host Lindy. You will make your way back to your hosts self-built clay house for lunch.
Finish the wonderful day out with a stop at The Bay Harbour Market in Hout Bay where you will find all sorts of local arts & crafts.
Wild Food experience is nutritious and progressive, incorporating edible seaweeds, wild plants and organic produce. Our hosts strive to be sustainable, traceable, organic and low impact. Harvesting is done fresh from their garden, and they support local artisans and suppliers whenever possible. Quality foods are the essential, raw building materials of the body and mind.
Who Is This Experience Good For
- Anyone interested in nature and outdoors
- Anyone interested in sustainable food sourcing
- Anyone interested in organic gastronomy of the destination they are visiting
Meet Our Local Hosts
Lindy Taverner has worked in nature conservation and on wildlife documentaries for over a decade, and has international experience in hospitality and the adventure industry. Her passion for the environment, both land and ocean, will educate and inspire. Franz Muhl trained and worked professionally in organic farming in California. He has over 3 decades of hands in the dirt experience and a passion for biodiversity. He strives to inspire others to connect to nature, the soil, their food and the source of their health.
-A guided beach walk with edible seaweeds and dune plants foraging experience - weather and tide dependent
-Seaweed preparation demonstration
-Seaweed barbecue, including vegetables cooked in kelp bulbs
-Organic gardening talk
- A delicious Delicious organic seaweed-inspired 3-course meal in self-built clay house with stoneware clay crockery made by Franz
- Cold local spring water and coffee
-Transportation: Round Trip - Pick up and drop off at accommodation
What's Not Included
- Additional Drinks - there is a BYOB (bring your own booze) policy - we will stop en route to purchase
Know Before You Go
- Minimum Needed: 2 people
- Maximum Capacity: 5 people
- Booking Deadline: 7 days before event
- Weather Dependent: Yes. If we are unable to do the seaweed foraging due to high tide we will still do a beach walk. (Beach walk could be affected by drastic weather)
- Difficulty Level: Easy
- Special Clothing Required: Yes - if warm bring swimming costume
- Special Dietary Restrictions: All food is vegan friendly and they can cater for any kind of dietary requirements.
- Extra Cash: Needed for tipping
- Start times of experience may vary depending on ocean tides
- You might be joining a group and not on a private tour